How do you “keep your peace” in a social media driven world?
Try these simple guidelines:
1) Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see.
2) Don’t pass along anything you don’t 100% know to be true. And even if it is true, ask if the news is yours to break.
3) Pray it before you post it, tweet it or say it.
4) Give others the benefit of the doubt.
5) Tap into empathy. Others may have very different life experiences than you. Give them some grace.
6) Don’t be afraid to unfriend, unsubscribe or even block people who disturb your peace.
7) Don’t be oversensitive. Someone once told me they felt everyone was out to get them. I responded, “That is absurd, most people could care less about you at all.”
8 ) If you don’t like fires, throw away your matches. I am shocked by the number of people who post things sure to stir people up and then seem shocked that people are attacking them.
9) If you have any doubt as to whether you should post something, don’t post it. I have never regretted something is didn’t post.
These simple life guidelines will not only keep crow out of your regular diet but they will keep a critical spirit from emerging within you.
Guard you peace. It is precious.
Rev. Shane L. Bishop has been the Sr. Pastor of Christ Church in Fairview Heights, Illinois since 1997.