I was appointed to a congregation of just over 200 in 1997. We averaged almost 2,400 in 2017. Here is what I have learned about leadership in these twenty-one years in one place:
Thirteen (Quick Hitter) Lessons in Leadership
- State Your Mission: We exist to connect people to Jesus Christ. It is our language for everything.
- Clarify Your Strategy: Our strategy is to reach out, welcome and disciple through worship and service.
- Have Principled Metrics: Determine what is important and determine how is that measured. Then lead people into them.
- Critics are not Your Enemies I have learned much from my detractors. They are often blessings in disguise. (Some feature VERY good disguises however…)
- Set Strategic Goals: Stated goals keep you doing the right stuff, keep everyone on the same page and define what a win looks like in your organization.
- Focus Energy Around Processes (not outcomes): Move the needle every day. Do the right things the right way and you will get the right results in the right time.
- Tenure Matters: Everything is about trust over time and everything is about relationships over time.
- Strive for Excellence: Show excellence and consistency every single day!
- You Can’t Cheat Time: Don’t put in a fraction of the time, effort, preparation and energy it takes to be successful and wonder why God let you down!
- Have Some Fun: If you don’t enjoy your life, no one is going to do it for you
- Self Manage: Key is humility. Realize that anything you achieve has been made possible by God and the contributions of others.
- Give God Something to Bless: Give your very best and expect God to take things from there!
- The Only Things You Can Control are Effort, Attitude and Preparation So own them!
-Rev. Shane L. Bishop has been the Sr. Pastor of Christ Church in Fairview Heights, Illinois since 1997