As the Sr. Pastor of what sociologists call a megachurch, I cannot imagine many people who have a more aggressive December schedule than I do. In December we do everything we do the other eleven months and then add ten to twelve additional worship services. In addition, there are family commitments, Christmas parties and social engagements to attend (just like everyone else).
How do I deal with a seemingly impossible December schedule?
Here are my Christmas Hacks:
1: Say a resounding NO to anything extra you are asked to do throughout the year during the month of December.
2: Cancel ANY existing or standing appointment that will wait until January.
3: Cancel ANY existing or standing meeting that will wait until January.
4: Get a good workout in every other day. Fit body = Sharp mind
5. Go to bed as early as possible as often as possible.
6. Spend extra time in prayer. You are far too busy NOT to spend time with God.
7. Don’t answer your phone. In fact, put it somewhere else. People will leave a message if it is important.
8. What remains on your schedule, do with excellence.
9. Give 100% of your attention and energy to what you are doing at the moment. BE where you are!
10. Cut yourself some slack. Don’t worry about keeping everyone happy (most of them weren’t happy before they met you anyway).
Christmas is awesome! Don’t let your schedule rob you of the joy and wonder.
I hope you have a very Merry Christmas!